Monday 11 December 2023

Wasted Years

 





The song deals with subject of homesickness and alienation,

 as well as the negative aspects of the band's nearly year long previous tour and personal problems that Smith and other band members were going through in that period.

The cover depicts the band mascot Eddie's point of view as he flies a time machine. Only a part of Eddie's face is seen, as a reflection in a screen.

 According to artist Derek Riggs, this is because the band did not want to reveal the mascot in his new cyborg guise until the album was released a few weeks later.

As with the Somewhere in Time album sleeve, the single cover also features the TARDIS from the BBC series Doctor Who.

Riggs describes the illustration as "a duffer. It's a technical illustration of a keyboard of a time machine, with Eddie reflected in the window, because it was the only thing we could think of that wouldn't give Eddie away"



Wased years!One, two, three-
From the coast of gold, across the seven seasTravelin' on, far and wideBut now it seems I'm just a stranger to myselfAnd all the things I sometimes do, it isn't me but someone else
I close my eyes and I think of homeAnother city goes by in the nightAin't it funny how it is? You never miss it til' it's gone awayAnd my heart is lying there, will be 'til my dying day,

Too much time on my hands, I got you on my mindCan't ease this pain so easilyWhen you can't find the words to say, hard to make it through another dayAnd it makes me wanna cry, throw my hands up to the sky

So understand, Adrian!Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted yearsFace up, make your standRealize you're living in the golden years