Monday 11 December 2023

Infinite Dreams

 



Infinite dreams, I can't deny themInfinity is hard to comprehendI couldn't hear those screamsEven in my wildest dreams
Suffocation, waking in a sweatScared to fall asleep againIn case the dream begins againSomeone chasing, I cannot moveStanding rigid, a nightmare's statueWhat a dream, when will it end?And will I transcend?
Restless sleep, the mind's in turmoilOne nightmare ends, another fertileIt's getting to me, so scared to sleepBut scared to wake now, in too deep
Even though its reached new heightsI rather like the restless nightsIt makes me wonder, makes me thinkThere's more to this, I'm on the brinkIt's not the fear of what's beyondIt's just that I might not respondI have an interest, almost cravingBut would I like to get too far in?
It can't be all coincidenceToo many things are evidentYou tell me you're an unbelieverSpiritualist? Well, me I'm neitherBut wouldn't you like to know the truth?Of what's out there, to have the proof?And find out just which side you're onWhere would you end in Heaven or in Hell?
Yeah, oh
Help meHelp me to find my true self without seeing the futureSave meSave me from torturing myself even within my dreams,
There's got to beJust more to it than thisOr tell me, why do we exist?I'd like to think that when I dieI'd get a chance, another timeAnd to return and live againReincarnate, play the gameAgain and again and again and again




The song is about how the character of the song sees disturbing visions about afterlife and other mystic things in his dreams, but is scared about if he will ever be able to wake up again.

It starts with a soft guitar solo, which is then joined by Bruce Dickinson's singing as well as the rest of the band. 

The song starts out quite peaceful, but gets progressively heavier towards the song's climax and the following final verse. 

Steve Harris has explained, “I do have nightmares, but usually only when we’re writing an album. Then your mind just gets so overactive with all these ideas flying about inside that it’s difficult to sleep. That’s what ‘Infinite Dreams’ is about.