Monday 4 December 2023

The Evil That Men Do - Song by Iron Maiden

 

Love is a razor and I walked the line on that silver bladeSlept in the dust with his daughterHer eyes red with the slaughter of innocenceBut I will pray for her, I will call her name out loudI would bleed for her, if I could only see her now
Circle of fire my baptism of joy at an end it seemsThe seventh lamb slain, the book of life opens before meAnd I will pray for you, someday I may return
Don't you cry for me, beyond is where I learn
Living on a razor's edge, balancing on a ledgeLiving on a razor's edge, balancing on a ledge
Balancing on a ledge, living on a razor's edgeBalancing on a ledge, you know, you know
The evil that men do lives on and onThe evil that men do lives on and on







The title of the song is taken from Marcus Antonius's speech while addressing the crowd of Romans after Caesar's murder (Act 3, scene 2, "The Forum") in William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar:

 "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones." 

Bruce Dickinson may sometimes repeat this before playing the song, but with the order of the clauses reversed 

The poetic lyrics of the song are not related.






 The good that men do is oft interred with their bones 

The evil that men do lives after them