Friday 6 March 2009

U2 and Christ

Bono went through a period where he used the third verse of a song to make a religious decleration.

The third verse of When Love Comes To Town:

I was there when they crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword
I threw the dice when they pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer the great divide



the third verse of Love Rescue Me parodies The 23rd Psalm:

Yea, though I walk
In the valley of shadow
Yea, I will fear no evil
I have cursed thy rod and staff
They no longer comfort me
Love rescue me



while the third verse of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is the most confrontational of all:

You broke the bonds
And you loosened the chains
Carried the cross
Of all my shame
all my shame
You know I believe it
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for